What you can claim

Compensation for non-economic loss includes:

  • pain and suffering you have experienced as a result of your injuries
  • inconveniences such as attending medical treatment or therapy
  • loss of enjoyment/amenity of life (no longer being able to do the things you used to do), or
  • disfigurement.


Compensation for non-economic loss may only be awarded under Section 52(4) of the Civil Liability Act 1936 (the CL Act) if the applicable ISV for the dominant injury is 11-100. Find out about minimum ISV requirements.

A CTP Insurer may agree to pay, or a Court may award, compensation for non-economic loss when your ISV rating is 0-10 if:

  • the consequences of your injury are considered exceptional when compared to other cases with the same injuries, and
  • applying an ISV less than the minimum would be harsh and unjust.

See more information on ISVs and how they are determined. For more information on compensation for non-economic loss, including how it is calculated, see Section 52 of the CL Act.