Who can claim

If you were injured in a motor vehicle accident caused by a South Australian-registered motor vehicle in someone else’s control, you can make a claim against the South Australian CTP Scheme. If the at-fault vehicle is unregistered (and therefore uninsured) or unidentified, cover for your injuries may be available under the Nominal Defendant Scheme.

Passengers in single-vehicle accidents

If you were injured as a passenger in a registered motor vehicle (or if you were a pillion passenger on a registered motor cycle, motorised scooter or moped) but no other vehicle was involved, then you may be eligible to make a claim if the driver/rider was at fault. In this scenario, the driver or rider is not eligible to make an injury claim (with the exception of claims for very serious, lifelong injuries that may come under the Lifetime Support Scheme).

Pedestrians, cyclists and other road users

If you are a pedestrian, cyclist, rider of a motorised wheelchair or gopher, or other road user (that is, not a vehicle occupant), and you were injured in an accident where a South Australian-registered motor vehicle was at fault, you may be eligible to make a CTP claim.

Details of the obligations on pedestrians (including users of motorised and non-motorised wheelchairs and wheeled recreational devices) can be found in the Australian Road Rules (ARR), in particular Part 14, and the Road Traffic (Road Rules - Ancillary and Miscellaneous Provisions) Regulations 2014.

Interstate at-fault vehicles

If the at-fault vehicle is registered and insured by a CTP insurer in another state or territory, you may be able to make a claim with the CTP scheme in the state where the at-fault vehicle is registered (view the contact details for interstate CTP authorities).

Lodging your claim

Find out how to lodge your CTP claim.

More information

Download the Regulator's brochure Information for motor vehicle owners and drivers